
Henry Hulbert
Henry has just finished getting off his carriage and is attended to by his servants. He strolls the streets of London with them carrying his suitcase. He wears his tophat with pride, although he does not realize a corner is bent. People pretend to admire him. However, they mock him as he turns his back. Henry is a wealthy businessman in his 40's. He is proud and stout, never saying “thank you” or “please”. He has inherited the business firm from his father. In his office, he relaxes while fiercely commanding his employees. He is overweight; the last time he exercised was 2 years ago. Currently, he is divorced because his family left him because he had committed adultery. He is not a well-liked person among the workplace. His bossiness and unpleasantness scares everyone away and as a result causes him to read his newspaper out of boredom. Everyday, he wears a dress shirt and tie with tophat, deemed as his “Sunday best”. He has never formally “worked hard” to earn his living. At an early age of 16, he shunned his parents and left Camden Town for London. Henry has a habit of licking his lips. People are led to believe he is looking for power and wealth, not food. He is extremely picky, only eating at certain times.
Pip has just finished eating breakfast and must meet Estella at the train station in 10 minutes. Henry is on his way to work. Pip admires his status by looking at him but is surprised when he actually talks to him. At first, Pip thinks that Henry is definitely of “gentleman” status because of his formal dress on a weekday. When they meet, Pip discovers that Henry is snobbish and disrespectful. He boasts of his high position in his company and his class. As a result, Pip leaves Henry alone and runs to the train station, causing him to doubt his view of a true English gentleman.
Pip (to himself): "Ooh la la. I see a true gentleman. I want to talk to him."
Henry: "Hey, boy, move. I’m walking. You are in my way"
Pip: "But sir, I have to meet my friend at the train!"
Henry: "I don’t care. Servants, remove him. Now"
Pip: "Fine. But before I leave, I just wanted to ask you what it feels like to be a gentleman."
Henry: "It is really pleasing. The food, the money, the clothes. What else do you want?"
Pip: "I was curious if you have nice family and friends."
Henry (crying): "They left me! Bahahaha What else do you want?"
Pip: "Nothing much, sir. Why are you licking your lips"
Henry: "I am impatient. OK? I need more money for my food costs."
Pip: "I will not disturb you anymore, since you are in a rush"
Henry: "Argh, I just wasted 3 minutes talking to you little poor rat."
Pip: "How dare you!"
Henry: "I have to make sure my employees go on-time to work."
Pip: "Bye"
Henry: "Kids are a pain."
dmak
No comments:
Post a Comment